Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Best way to share/install hierarchical grc blocks

From: Porges, Donald
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Best way to share/install hierarchical grc blocks?
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 17:53:03 -0400

I need to think about some of these ideas, but wanted to thank both of you for
the replies.  My inclination right now is to install the .py.xml into the grc
installation-wide "blocks" directory, and the .py into the correct gr
subdirectory for my additions,
and then have an install-time step that edits the .py.xml so that the execfile
line points directly to that .py file.  (I'm presuming that a hier-block
.py.xml file, once installed in the "normal" place, won't try to mess with
~/.grc_gnuradio, but I haven't tried it yet.)  I'm using the
how-to-write-a-block framework, so the python install directory would be
available to the Makefile in the build/grc directory (which right now has no
build actions since it just is there for "make install")

Incidentally, I tried changing the execfile into "from dir import class", but
it seemed to not quite produce the same state, in that I was not able to
instantiate the module after that.  But I may have just done something wrong
and given up too early.