Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] uhd running parallel tx/rx flowgraphs

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] uhd running parallel tx/rx flowgraphs
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 16:31:49 -0800

On 03/01/2012 11:14 AM, George Nychis wrote:
> A quick question on how the trigger works in UHD.  I have some basic code
> integrated with the help of your suggestions.
>
> Burst tagger port 0 is the raw complex sample stream.  Burst tagger port 1
> is the trigger.  Let's say the raw complex sample stream has an outgoing
> packet.  I'm assume that I change the value on port 1 that corresponds to
> the first sample of the preamble to a value of '1': which is the trigger
> like "hey, here is the start of the burst!"  My question is, for *all*
> indexes on port 1 that correspond to samples in the packet on port 1,
> should those also be of value 1?  Or only just the first sample?  What
> about the last sample?
>
> Just trying to understand exactly how the trigger works.

Sorry, I dont know anything about the burst tagger. But I can tell you
about the stream tags that I guess burst tagger is producing.

Basically in the gnuradio framework, arbitrary metadata can be
associated with a sample, aka sample tags. When the scheduler calls work
in the uhd sink block, work looks for any start/end of burst tags and
timestamp tags.

UHD sends packets of samples into the USRP. Each packet can have
metadata associated with it (burst flags, times). The job of the work
function is to slice the stream up such that the tag metadata gets setup
to go out with the metadata for the packet of samples.

So burst tagger should only be causing 1 start of burst tag and 1 end of
burst tag. The start of burst is sort of optional as far as the hardware
cares. Mostly, you want to communicate end of burst when there will be
no more data.

-josh