Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Cannot Achieve 50MSPS Sampling Rate

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Cannot Achieve 50MSPS Sampling Rate
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 18:14:43 -0500

I was totally unaware of SIMD before you mentioned it. That's an
interesting subject. It is my understand that SIMD is integrated into
gnuradio through VOLK as of Dec. 2010. Doesn't look like I can use VOLK
directely from grc, or even from Python. Looks like it needs to be
implemented at the block level in C++. Is this the case?

The latest master GIT repo for Gnu Radio has integrated work to make many of the core functions SIMD-aware using Volk-based processing "kernels". If you run the latest, you should already be benefitting from SIMD implementations of many core functions, including
  filtering, and basic math like complex add, multiply, etc.

But I wonder, given the apparent confusion about decimation whether you actually need very-high sample rates, or perhaps you have a misconception about what you really need out of a flow-graph. For example, the sample-rate has very little to do with the final RF frequency you're "looking at" or generating. Unless you're doing very-wideband spectral analysis, or have very-wideband signals to deal with (or any of a number of other interesting wideband applications like Radio Astronomy), you don't need any more bandwidth that will comfortably "fit" your signal(s) of interest.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator