Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] building carrier sense in the FPGA and UHD

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] building carrier sense in the FPGA and UHD
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2012 10:19:49 -0500

Definitely, there are MACs whose form of carrier sense is detecting preamble rather than detecting energy.  In my same piece of work, we put a matched filter in the FPGA and the host specifies the coefficients of the match filter, then you gate on that.  But, I don't think it's unreasonable to think basic energy detection is not general purpose enough?  I think supporting some basic form of energy detection would start to enable better MAC implementations...

and afterwards I have every intention of rolling a match filter in to the FPGA also.  So, maybe your suggestion is I build a separate FPGA implementation if people want MAC functionality.  I can do that if people believe that the functionality is not general enough.
Given that there are a metric-arseload (that's a scientific measure, btw :-) ) of applications for Gnu Radio and USRP hardware that have
  nothing at all to do with data communications of any kind, such a thing fails *my personal* definition of a "generality test".  But there are
  enough folks using this stuff for data communications that perhaps it would be worthwhile.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator