Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to capture fixed length burst of samples (to

From: Zhonghua
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to capture fixed length burst of samples (to avoid overflow)
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 12:57:29 +0100

On 03/01/2012 12:22 PM, Rickard Radio wrote:
Hi list,

Two questions:
a)  I would like to know the easiest way (of low complexity) to capture a
certain length/number of samples (or time period), preferably in gnuradio, and
then automagically turn off the uhd-reception (and save received samples to
disk) ?!

b)  Are there any other (kernel, uhd, gnuradio) buffers and settings than "net.core.wmem_max" and
"net.core.rmem_max"  (set with "sysctl" command in Linux) which affect transmit and
receive buffering for uhd/gnuradio ?

Background: I am capturing bursts of samples at very high sampling rate (like 25 MSPS @
16 bit I&Q, or 50 MSPS @ 8 bit I&Q) and save them to disk for further offline
processing. But for now I have to manually cancel the application (CTRL-C) after a few
seconds to avoid overflow since writing to a normal HDD does not keep up for saving in
continuos real time (which anyway quickly creates too large files). Also, I have tried
to maximize receive (and transmit) buffering (through mentioned buffers) in order to
capture (and buffer) as long sequences as possible in RAM before saving them to disk
and get the inevitable overflows (resulting in loss of received samples). However, to
avoid overflow without manual interception I would like to capture just as much as the
RAM-buffers can hold (or less) and then automatically turn off the reception so that
the burst of samples can be saved to disk without any overflows and loss of samples.
Feels like it should be an easy way to accomplish
   this but how ?!   FYI: Hardware is USRP N210.

Any help appreciated!

/ Rickard