Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UCLA ZigBee and the Capture Effect

From: Matthias Wilhelm
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UCLA ZigBee and the Capture Effect
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:28:42 +0100

Hi Bjoern,

the receiver uses FM demodulation to track phase changes, and when two signals
collide the stronger one simply has the larger influence on the overall phase.
This is actually a good property, because you still have the chance to receive
one of the colliding packets.

Do you want to go on receiving the weaker packet? This may be quite tricky,
because you cannot just separate the signals. One way I can think is successive
interference cancelation, first receive the stronger packet, and subtract its
signal and start receiving the weaker one. There is a ("CS-style") paper on
this:
Daniel Halperin, Thomas Anderson, and David Wetherall. 2008. Taking the sting
out of carrier sense: interference cancellation for wireless LANs. In
Proceedings of the 14th ACM international conference on Mobile computing and
networking (MobiCom '08). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 339-350.
DOI=10.1145/1409944.1409983 http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1409944.1409983

Regards,
Matthias