Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Broadcast FM is crap!

From: Tim Pozar
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Broadcast FM is crap!
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 10:35:16 -0800

Up until about 20 years ago when digital stereo generation started be perfected
and for a period after that, providing good stereo separation better than 40 dB
was pretty hard.  I developed an early digital stereo generator in 1979 that
provided about 55 dB but much of that was dependent on the low pass filter that
I had to have after the generator in order to reduce third harmonic products of
38 Khz.   I ended up putting a third order Butterworth filter in the unit.  I
also had to consider ringing as you really need to minimize this in order to
prevent over-modulation.

More modern stereo generators such as Aphex's digicoder and Bob Orban's and
Frank Foti's boxes provide stellar stereo separation now as everything is in
the digital domain.

The main problem with lack of stereo information or L-R content is the original
material and the how the material is processed for air.  Once upon a time,
music was mixed with the home stereo environment in mind.  It sounded great.
Early on many companies went way overboard on stereo mixing (ie Decca) where
the staging was just too wide and very little energy was in the L+R domain.

That changed in the 70s and 80s when more aggressive broadcast
compression/limiting was available and in use by AM and FM stations.  I have
run into many a mix engineer that would add compression and limiting in order
to "try" to have better control of what the music sounds like over-the-air.   A
pretty standard procedure for these folks is to have a little bootleg
transmitter at a studio with an Orban or Omnia processor  in front of it.  They
will play back the cut they are working on and run out to a car and see how the
mix sounds.   There are even a series of "craptactular" speakers that you can
buy and sit on your mixing desk that will mimic the low-fidelity sound systems
in most cars.

So, radio stations are pushing recording engineers to process their music
poorly and radio stations are creating their own cesspool of audio by each
trying to sound "louder" than each other.  All of this means that the less
information you put in L-R the better.

Tim Pozar
Past Chief Engineer of to many stations to list here and usually ones that were
the softest on the dial.