Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Google Summer of Code '12 is On

From: Philip Balister
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Google Summer of Code '12 is On
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 09:46:08 -0500

On 02/07/2012 09:06 AM, Michael Dickens wrote:
> Given the discussion at the GNU Radio Conference about GSoC, what do our
> fearless leaders say about giving it a try this year?  Josh, with all his
> amazing programming capabilities, can only do so much ;) - MLD
>
> <
> http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2012/02/google-summer-of-code-2012-is-on.html
>  >

> This will be the 8th year for Google Summer of Code, an innovative program
> dedicated to introducing students from colleges and universities around the
> world to open source software development. The program offers student
> developers stipends to write code for various open source projects with the
> help of mentoring organizations from all around the globe. Over the past
> seven years Google Summer of Code has had 6,000 students from over 90
> countries complete the program. Our goal is to help these students pursue
> academic challenges over the summer break while they create and release open
> source code for the benefit of all.

At the last developer call I agreed to lead the GSoC effort.

Based on my prior experience with GSoC (via the BeagleBoard project),
the single most important part of the application is the list of ideas.
We need to start thinking about ideas that are possible for
undergrad/grad type students in a three month period. I also recommend
looking at idea list published by other successful organizations.

The application deadline is March 9. We should aim to be done before
that due to WSR12.

Philip