Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Really big items, best practices?

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Really big items, best practices?
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 10:56:39 -0500

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 5:22 AM, Martin Braun <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 08:03:52PM -0500, Tom Rondeau wrote:
> Thinking of the results as one large matrix item probably isn't going to work.
> As you said, there's a system limitation at play here.  What if, instead, you
> passed the data along as though it were a stream of floats (or complex floats).
> Along side that, the block that creates the matrix sends a "start of matrix"
> and "end of matrix" tag, so the blocks down the line know what to look for and
> can reassemble the matrix from there.
>

> I'm assuming that all of your blocks in the chain that deal with the data as a
> matrix are home-brewed and not current blocks, so you would only need to add
> the tag-handling capabilities to your blocks.

Hi Tom,

thanks for the suggestion. We've been doing it similarly, only without
the tags--following blocks simply knew what was coming and pieced it
together accordingly. The tags might actually be a nicer solution, much
more flexible.

Cheers
MB

Precisely. The tags give you the ability to make runtime changes/decisions as opposed to having to figure this out initially. Let us know how it works for you.

--
Tom