Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio on FreeBSD 8.x

From: mleech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio on FreeBSD 8.x
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 16:17:32 -0500

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 14:49:20 -0600, LRK wrote:

UHD needs to make certain that the FPGA image is compatible with the parameters supplied, so I *think* and Josh can confirm, that it reloads the FPGA imagee very time, although it doesn't reload the FX2 firmware every time.

I wrote build-gnuradio specifically to help deal with the "I just want to look at signals" issues that people were having (and because it was very convenient for me). Nothing stopping *someone* with *BSD experience and motivation from doing a build-gnuradio variant for *BSD.  But most of the folks involved in Gnu Radio use a Linux variant, so naturally, Linux is better supported.

Hardware-specific stuff has been slowly being decoupled from Gnu Radio for a couple of years.  UHD has been around for that long, and is basically a separate package from Gnu Radio proper. And within UHD, the pre-built firmware/FPGA images are also separate.  Again, build-gnuradio knows where to get them, and where to install them--for Ubuntu and Fedora.

Unless there's a horrible bug in std::ifstream on FreeBSD, then it really *did* find that .rbf file where it claims to have found it, and pushed it down to the USRP1.