Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Saving block status

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Saving block status
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 09:32:58 -0800

On 01/13/2012 08:11 AM, André Selva wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've been working on the development of a Digital TV transmitter on GNU
> Radio.
> The problem is that the information flow is bufferized before "entering"
> the blocks, but the information i need to process is too large to be
> bufferized.
> So, I need the data contained on some internal structures of my blocks (for
> example, shifters) to be preserved between the executions of each
> bufferized part of the data flow. One of the alternatives is saving this
> data in files and reloading then on the initialization, but i think this
> may ruin my performance.
> I've read on
> this<http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/BlocksCodingGuide#Saving-state>
> tutorial, that exists the possibility to save the status between executions
> using the methods start() ans stop() from the block, but i cannot find more
> information about that. Is that the correct way to solve this problem? If
> so, where can i find more information about those methods?

The idea behind "saving state" was to help users make their blocks
robust against the flow graph starting/stopping. This is starting and
stopping of processing as a whole, so it doesnt help your case which is
"what to do" while processing. So, if you dont have enough CPU memory to
buffer, than the only options two you mentioned.

Or is it the case that you just need gnuradio buffers to be larger, and
everything would therefore work out better for your processing
implementation?

-Josh