Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR 3.5.1 release tarball bugs

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR 3.5.1 release tarball bugs
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 20:08:28 -0500

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Ed Criscuolo <address@hidden> wrote:
On 1/11/12 4:59 PM, Josh Blum wrote:
I dont think this is a tarball of the source tree. Rather, its a tarball
produced by autotools with only files listed by makefile.ams or
generated in autotools.

But what of the future? If autotools goes away in favor of cmake, does
this mean that tarballs will go away too?  I hope not, as a tarball is
the preferred way of installation on a number of the machines that I use
because they are in isolated labs and are not allowed to be connected
to the internet.

Absolutely not! We will always have release tarballs available.

Right now, we use the "make dist" target that autotools creates, but that's a convenience, not a requirement.

In fact, you can get weekly builds from the website as generated by Jenkins. I have a script that runs to create a full tarball of the code every Monday, and this includes the cmake install.

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Download

We'll probably do this (or something similar) to release tarballs when we move away from autotools.

The cmake build is still the "experimental" way of building GNU Radio, which is why it's not part of the stable releases.

Tom