Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CYGWIN/X gnuradio

From: Moeller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CYGWIN/X gnuradio
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 10:41:40 +0100

I prefer the bash command line and GCC for development, even on Windows.
You have regular expressions everywhere, scripting, automation, git, rsync ...
Why using Microsoft compilers for GNU programs?
Unix is the dominating OS world-wide. Nearly all smartphones (iPhone,Android)
and most embedded devices are running Unix-like operating systems.
Cygwin is the natural environment for GNU on Windows, or at least Mingw.
Before, it was very complicated to contact USRP2 with IP raw sockets,
because of the different concepts (Cygwin is using the Windows IP subsystem).
But now with UDP-based UHD this should be realistic, too.
I don't know if it's possible to link Gnuradio Cygwin DLLs to UHD MSVC DLL.
The runtime libs are different and incompatible.
Gnuradio itself did build on Cygwin/X, I had it running with audio examples.
Waterfall didn't work over remote XWindows because some X extensions were
missing
on my Xming X-Server (Cygwin X too).
Unfortunately later versions didn't build any more.
I think it's not too much effort to keep the makesystem compatible on Cygwin.
The code is not the problem, usually, just the makesystem.