[Discuss-gnuradio] new stream selector block in gr-basic

From: Josh Blum
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] new stream selector block in gr-basic
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 07:57:38 -0800

Hey list,

I have noticed that many user's have found the need to mux a stream.
Either to dynamically select an alternative data source or to mux an
output to an alternative sink like a different demodulator.

Currently, GRC has come with selector (and valve). These blocks
implement stream muxing by dynamically reconfiguring the flow graph.
However, this method seems to be slow and error prone.

So, I have created a stream selector block in gr-basic. Stream selector
has N inputs and M outputs and allows the user to dynamically change the
stream routing without flow graph reconfiguration.

The good:
- the switchover is immediate
- no lock/unlock start/stop, so no errors
- unused inputs can be put into blocking or consume mode

The bad:
- The post-reconfiguration overhead is an extra memcpy from source port
to destination port

The work is here, and grc demo attached:
http://gnuradio.org/cgit/jblum.git/tree/gr-basic/include/gr_basic_stream_selector.h?h=gr_basic

-Josh