Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Complex Short/INT16 type

From: Nick Foster
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Complex Short/INT16 type
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 10:27:16 -0800

Sean, with all the talk about optimization for ARM, the first thing I
would do is start to integrate Volk with existing floating-point
blocks. Stock GCC is very, very bad at vectorizing for the NEON SIMD
unit -- even when hardware floating point is used in GCC, most float
instructions end up allocated to the VFP rather than the NEON unit.
You might find an easy 2x-3x improvement just by doing the heavy
lifting in Volk rather than in C++. All of the Orc functions in Volk
will work for NEON. There's no FIR filter in Orc right now (need to
get accumulators working properly in Orc), but Philip Balister already
wrote NEON FIR filter cores for the _fff and _ccf FIR filters.

This isn't to say that short complex wouldn't be a useful addition to
GR. Just that it's likely going to be more work than making use of the
existing floating-point hardware the E100 already has.

This is work that needs to be done anyway to make ARM platforms as
useful as possible, and we (Josh, Phil, and I) are happy to help you
optimize your application for E100 if you give us details on how your
application works. We're putting together a "motivating example" using
Volk to show users how to Volkify their own blocks.

--n