Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New build-gnuradio

From: Dan CaJacob
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New build-gnuradio
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 01:19:09 -0400

On 10/25/2011 11:51 PM, Dan CaJacob wrote:
On 10/25/2011 10:02 PM, Tom Rondeau wrote:
On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 9:55 PM, Marcus D. Leech <address@hidden> wrote:
I worked-over build-gnuradio tonight rather thoroughly, and it now uses the Cmake infrastructure to do its Gnu Radio builds.

It also has built-in help:

build-gnuradio --help

Yields:

Usage: build-gnuradio [--help|-h] [-v|--verbose] [-jN] [-ja] [-l|--logfile logfile ] funcs

-v|--verbose   - turn on verbose logging to stdout

-jN            - have make use N concurrent jobs

-ja            - have make use N concurrent jobs with auto setting of N
                (based on number of cpu cores on build system)

-l|--logfile lf - log messages to 'lf'

available funcs are:

all             - do all functions
prereqs         - install prerequisites
gitfetch        - use GIT to fetch Gnu Radio and UHD
uhd_build       - build only UHD
firmware        - fetch firmware/FPGA
gnuradio_build  - build only Gnu Radio
mod_groups      - modify the /etc/groups and user to group 'usrp'
mod_udev        - add UDEV rule for USRP1
mod_sysctl      - modify SYSCTL for larger net buffers

I'd love people to add support for systems other than Ubuntu and Fedora, but those are the most popular Linux distros in use.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator

Wonderful, Marcus, thanks!

Cool!  I want to mention a problem I have encountered a few times when using the build-gnuradio script so that others can be wary themselves.  It's my own fault, but occasionally, I will go to build the newest gnuradio and forget that I have a grc instance left running.  This seems to really mess things up and nothing short of hunting down every last bit of gnuradio in the operating system will allow you to start over from scratch.  Has anyone else had this problem?

By they way, 7 minutes, 18 seconds from start of UHD build to end of gnuradio build on a quad-core Mac Book Pro (bought in June).  They actually abstract it into 8 cores - I used all 8 for the test build.  Really nice!