Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How can I build component usrp on E100?

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How can I build component usrp on E100?
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 12:54:33 -0400

On 19/10/2011 12:41 PM, xi yang wrote:
Hi, Marcus and Sean,

I'm a little bit confused by the relationship between UHD and gnuradio.
I thought we can use either UHD or gnuradio, just UHD provides some unique interfaces for the products from Ettus. Do you mean that our old ofdm codes that work on USRP1 cannot be used anymore? We are working on Non-Contiguous OFDM and our previous codes can disable some subcarriers on USRP1. Because we want to do FFT on FPGA, we change to use USRP E100, but codes on the host are useless now?

In the "old days" prior to about 2 years ago, the USRP2 and USRP1 devices (all that existed at the time) had their own individual APIs, and applications/examples were written *knowing* which interface type they were using.

Then along came UHD, which provides a universal API for all of Ettus' devices, and gr-uhd is the little piece of "glue" that glues Gnu Radio
  to the UHD device stack.

But hardly anyone converted their examples to use UHD, and that task is now being done by Tom Rondeau and others.

Further, some of the new devices, notably E100, B100, N2XX, and newer daughtercards are only available with a UHD driver interface.

So any applications/examples that haven't been ported to using UHD cannot work with non-UHD devices, and the E100 USRP-type device
  only "speaks" UHD.

The "next" branch has examples that have been converted to use UHD, which should "just work" on your E100 platform. Although not
  all the examples have been converted yet.