Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] truncating bits

From: Kunal Kandekar
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] truncating bits
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 12:37:05 -0400

I doubt bit truncation will work too well as a method of filtering... if anything, it will probably end up introducing other artifacts into the signal.

But to truncate bits in GNU Radio, you could try converting your signal to shorts and using an and-by-constant block (gr.and_const_ss) where the value of the constant is, say, 0xFFF0 (or whatever mask you wish to apply to zero out LSBs). There is no GR block to right-shift bits in a sample, but maybe you can do without it. This will effectively add a DC component to your signal proportional to the number of bits you're zeroing out, but I think that will be the least problematic side-effect.

Kunal