Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using Python Scientific Libraries as GnuRadio Blo

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using Python Scientific Libraries as GnuRadio Blocks, Blks2 Help
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 21:26:32 -0700

>   1:I need to ask that is there some way to make a block using Python
> Scientific Libraries e.g. scipy instead of writing in C++?

Yes, I think the best way is to make a hier block w/ message source,
message sink and a thread. The thread pops messages, performs the numpy
operation, then pushes messages.

There are some blocks in grc/grc_gnuradio/blks2 that work like this. You
can use them as an example.

>   2:There are many complex signal processing blocks e.g. Phase, Frequency
> and symbol Synchronization etc but i am unable to find
>      basic programming operators e.g. > or < etc and implementation of basic
> math function e.g. exponential and hypergeometric is available in
> python       "cmath" but exponential/hypergeometric is not in GRC.

Well, there is gr_max_xx for comparison which takes the max of all inputs.

I just recently made gr_transcendental to take care of various cmath
functions:
http://gnuradio.org/cgit/jblum.git/commit/?h=transcendental&id=deb78591edbfd3cbabfbdafdc30d12678165f20c

What blocks can you think of? Make a list and put it somewhere like a
wiki page or in the bug tracker so we dont forget. (login is guest:gnuradio)

Since we are currently splitting gnuradio-core into smaller components.
I am thinking about a gr-math component to handle the primitive math
operations. This would include standard math operator blocks, binary
operator blocks, transcendental functions in cmath, other misc, and
possibly a bunch of python based blocks that call into numpy functions
(just to cover everything, but w/ the ease of python).

>   3: Doxgen generates documentation of gnuradio.gr,radar,filter
> design,window,atsc etc but i am unable to find documentation of "blks2"

The doxygen generation for blks2 was a mess so we stopped generating it.
Best to look at the source for doc strings.

-Josh