Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Range of floating point io types

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Range of floating point io types
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 08:33:31 -0700

> The doxygen documentation [1] says that the range of COMPLEX_FLOAT32 is
> [-1.0,1.0],

Yes

> which means that both the real and imaginary part must be within this
> range, right?

Correct but, the complex magnitude must not exceed 1.0, or else you may
clip in the DSP.

> And what happens if you try to send values larger than 1.0?

truncation of the most significant bits

For example, the DQPSK block will transmit symbols at +/-1 +/-j. These
constellation points will clip in the DSP of the FPGA if you have the
cordic tuned to a non-zero frequency. I recommend that you characterize
your output before using the max dynamic range of the DAC.

-josh