Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] raw input data for those without hardware

From: Nick Foster
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] raw input data for those without hardware
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2011 14:33:24 -0700

On Sat, 2011-08-06 at 21:56 -0700, Ben Reynwar wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Nick Foster <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2011-08-06 at 14:21 -0700, Ben Reynwar wrote:
> >> I don't have any hardware and am looking for some raw input data to
> >> play with.  It doesn't really matter what.  Where are good places to
> >> find this?
> >>
> >> I faintly remember people asking this question here before, but
> >> haven't come up with the right search terms to bring up those emails.
> >
> > Ben,
> >
> > Anything in particular you're looking for? If you tell me what
> > transmission type you're interested in, I'm happy to put up some
> > recordings, presuming I can hear it from where I am.
> >
> > --n
> >

> >> Cheers,
> >> Ben

> I'm wanting to have a play with gnuradio with some real data, rather
> than make-pretend software generated stuff, but don't have any
> particular transmission type in mind.  I thought there were a couple
> of websites where people had uploaded some dumps of various things,
> but perhaps I'm wrong.
>
> To be honest, I don't have a good idea of how complicated the common
> transmission types are.  I'd like to have a crack at something digital
> but other than that it would probably be best to be as simple as
> possible.

There's hundreds of different protocols that can be received with
ordinary general purpose receivers and input to Gnuradio via an audio
source block. As long as it fits into the bandwidth of a sound card, it
should be fair game, and because these narrower signals are more easily
received there tends to be more example data online in regular old .WAV
format. Some examples: PSK31, RTTY, SSTV, APT, AIS, ACARS, POCSAG (if
you can find it), the various trunking radio protocols, older MDT, lots
of satellite telemetry.

For higher bandwidth stuff, the offer still stands of course, I'll be
happy to make a recording of whatever digital stuff you want to
decode... so long as whatever comes out of it can go into Gnuradio. =)
BTW that offer obviously goes for anyone else who wants example data to
play with.

--n