[Discuss-gnuradio] Updates to build-gnuradio

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Updates to build-gnuradio
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 14:12:46 -0400

I just uploaded a new version of build-gnuradio that takes care of a few issues:

o It will attempt to fetch UHD via both GIT and HTTP, to handle the case where the local network won't pass GIT traffic

    o It is more robust in the face of errors fetching the firmware

o It has a bug fix related to "apt-get purge" -- thanks to Kiran Chandrashekhar for pointing this out!

o It will suggest the correct PYTHONPATH to put in your .bashrc or .cshrc or whatever I debated having it edit-in the correct PYTHONPATH into your shell startup scripts, but since there are such a variety of shells out there, I felt it would be too much work, and somewhat error-prone to have it patch your shell startup scripts.

I will point out that this is just a script. It isn't psychic. In particular, it assumes that your system has been configured with a standard set of configurations, and that your file-system layout is standard. If you have, out of a sense of needing to be hip and edgy, changed your file-system layout, the script will likely not function correctly. If you skip the pre-requisites phase, and haven't already installed all the pre-requisites, don't expect that the build sections for Gnu Radio and UHD will operate correctly. If you don't have a reliable network connection, the script cannot fix that for you. If you are running on ancient hardware, don't expect it to complete
  before the start of the next solar cycle.

The script re-directs most of what would ordinarily be *volumes* of log and progress information either to /dev/null, or to a log file. It doesn't produce progress indicators, but if something fails in a way that the script can detect, it will often give you an opportunity to inspect the
  resulting log file.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator