[Discuss-gnuradio] MAC layer questions

From: Morgan Redfield
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] MAC layer questions
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 18:16:25 -0700

Hi,

I've been working on building a CSMA/CA MAC for the past couple of
weeks. I built it in Python, and used ofdm/tunnel.py as a guide. It's
working now, but I don't think it's very efficient. I ended up having
to relax a lot of timing parameters to get it working, so my
throughput is pretty bad. I also get a lot of dropped packets. I think
this is also because my timing isn't very accurate, and I end up with
more collisions than I would expect.

I was wondering if anyone else had had any luck building a CSMA/CA
MAC. I saw a few posts on the mailing list from several years ago
about people who were working on it, but I don't see any example code
anywhere. I also checked out CMUmacs on CGRAN, but that relies on a
deprecated version of GNURadio.

Is my best bet to rewrite the MAC as a block in C++? Can anyone tell
me what kind of speedup that's likely to get me?

Thanks,
Morgan Redfield