Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] E100 Performance

From: Matthias Wilhelm
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] E100 Performance
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 13:48:17 +0200

Am 30.06.2011 um 11:27 schrieb Ralf:
> Am 29.06.2011 16:34, schrieb Marcus D. Leech:
>> On 29/06/2011 9:11 AM, Ralf wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> the simple GRC in the attachment creates lots of underflows on our E100
>>> ("U" on console)
>>> and dropouts when looking at the spectrum.
>>>
>>> Is this as expected or how can this overload of the embedded Linux be
>>> avoided?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ralf
>> Well, for one, 60Khz isn't a proper divisor of the 128MHz sample rate of the
>> DAC, which means it can't be properly interpolated.
>>
>> The minimum sample rate that you can deliver to the USRP-E100 is 128MHz/512
>> = 250kHz, so you'll have to interpolate your
>>  data stream up to 250kHz prior to "presentation" to the UHD sink block.
>>

> Hi Marcus, thanks for your reply.
>
> That is very important for us to understand. How is the divider 512
> determined? It is in the FPGA I suppose.
> Where can read more about the FPGA besides this small text?
> http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuradio/doc/exploring-gnuradio.html#fpga
>
> Can we only put proper divisors of 128MHz in terms of datarate into the UHD
> sink even above 250kHz?
>
> Actually we need to put ~10kbit/s of data onto a ~400kHz carrier. Is the GRC
> repeater the right functionality
> to interpolate the small datarate as shown in the attached setup?
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

There is a collection of lots of internal details of the USRP1 under
www.gnuradio.org/redmine/attachments/129/USRP_Documentation.pdf

They might also apply to the operation of the E100's FPGA logic.

You can also look at the source code directly
http://ettus-apps.sourcerepo.com/redmine/ettus/projects/uhd/repository/revisions/master/show/fpga

Regards,
Matthias