Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ranging (measure distance) between two radios

From: Kunal Kandekar
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ranging (measure distance) between two radios
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 17:40:22 -0400

I think it is going to be a challenging project. Note that I only happen to know a bit about ranging, but I have no experience at all implementing this on GNU Radio/USRP, so I may be off-base at some points.

Your basic idea (correlating against a PN sequence) could work well as a first step (detecting time of arrival, but it is only one component of what would be needed. Time of arrival alone will not give you the distance without the precise time of transmission.

Your options are Time of Arrival (ToA)/Time Difference of Arrival (TDoA), Angle of Arrival (AoA), Received Signal Strength (RSS)-based distance estimation, or Two-Way ToA/Ranging (TW-ToA). It seems to me that you essentially have to use TW-ToA, basically measuring the "time of flight" of the signal to and from both radios like a ping. You cannot use ToA or TDoA because they assume the time of transmission is precisely known, and you would not have sufficiently synchronized clocks. (Unless you use the same clock reference for both USRPs, in which case its not really practical for ranging since both USRPs are basically stuck next to each other.) For AoA you would need directional antennas, and it does not give range anyway. For RSS-based distance estimation, you would need a lot of training data to correlate RSS readings with distances.

So suppose you need to measure the time difference in both directions, i.e. radio A transmits at T1, radio B detects and responds, radio A detects the response at T2, and range ~= c*(T2 - T1)/2. This is where I think you will have complications... the processing delay introduced by GNU Radio while detecting and responding will lead to severe inaccuracies, because at the speed of light even a fraction of a microsecond results in an error of dozens of meters. Using in-band signaling and transmit and receive timestamps could alleviate this problem... However, each USRP should know what the processing delay is between receiving a ping and responding to it. Maybe it can be kept constant, so that one USRP does not need to inform the other one how much processing time was spent? Just a thought.

As for references, I think it may be worthwhile to look at IEEE 802.15.4a. It defines a precision wireless ranging protocol using TW-ToA, to an error of about ~1m. It may be helpful to look at that. Googling for "IEEE 802.15.4a ranging" turned up a few interesting papers. The MERL report looked pretty good.

Kunal