Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Please Help in trellis gnuradio

From: Achilleas Anastasopoulos
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Please Help in trellis gnuradio
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 14:58:58 -0400

The output of the FSM belongs to the set {0,1,2,3}.
The Viterbi decoder requires a vector of size 4 for each FSM
symbol. So if the output of the FSM is [0,3,3,2,1,0] (6 symbols)
then you need to provide the Viterbi decoder with a stream
of  6 x 4 floats, each indicating the "distance" between
the "received" signal and each of the 4 symbols in the alphabet.
If you want to simulate a noiseless transmission, the input to the
viterbi should look like:
[0 a a a   a a a 0   a a a 0   a a 0 a   a 0 a a   0 a a a ]
where a is any positive number.

The simplest way to implement this is to setup a lookup table
(in gnuradio is called chunks_to_symbols of length 4 and dimensionality 4)
so that
0 maps to [0 a a a]
1 maps to [a 0 a a]
2 maps to [a a 0 a]
3 maps to [a a a 0]
after the encoder and before the Viterbi decoder.

Achilleas