Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] To implement WiMAX with GnuRadio or not?

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] To implement WiMAX with GnuRadio or not?
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 11:52:46 -0400

Problem here is that FIFO's are not very well suited for real-time
operation, IIRC. Have you tried a shared memory and shared signals
across applications?

It depends on what you mean by "real time". Certainly FIFO I/O will be slower than intra-flowgraph ring buffers, but not so horribly sluggish and latency prone that they
  can't be used for a large class of real-time applications.

I use them extensively in a radio astronomy application, and they don't seem to add any noticable latency above the already-not-spectacular latency within Gnu Radio.

Good idea. With only one problem - XML is a bit of overhead for
real-time application messaging :)

Are you concerned about parsing overhead?  And what do you mean by "real time"??
  Are you concerned about reacting to stimuli on microsecond timescales? In
which case,
  deep thought would certainly be required about the entire architecture, and
not just
  the protocol "syntax".

I wonder - have anyone considered using Google's Protocol Buffers or a
similar messaging scheme with fast serialization/deserialization?
http://code.google.com/apis/protocolbuffers/docs/overview.html

Don't know anything about it.  Might be worth looking at for *someone*.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator