Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] To implement WiMAX with GnuRadio or not?

From: Jeff Brower
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] To implement WiMAX with GnuRadio or not?
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 21:52:33 -0500 (CDT)

Colby-

>> How do the companies write closed-source drivers for the Linux Kernel
>> without running into GPL2 issues? I can only recall that there is a
>> "user-land" and a "kernel-land" driver, where the "kernel-land" is the
>> only part that is open source. Is this correct?
>>
>> Perhaps that method could work well?

You can find many opinions either way.  But as you mention, "the reality on the
ground" is that commercial outfits
often distribute binary-only versions of libraries and drivers, whether the
license they're under actually permits
that or not.  Their argument that providing driver source would disclose
proprietary information about their hardware
is difficult to refute.  Nvidia is one example.

I continue to think future legal rulings will invoke interoperability to
clarify this.  Numerous people want to
interoperate with Linux and still maintain their sauce as secret.  Building
cards that insert into servers is one
obvious example.  A smaller group of people want to interoperate similarly with
GNU radio.  Yes there are no lawyers
posting here, but my point is these users should be supported in some formal,
encouraged way.

-Jeff