Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] To implement WiMAX with GnuRadio or not?

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] To implement WiMAX with GnuRadio or not?
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 09:55:49 -0400

On May 25, 2011, at 6:23 PM, Marcus D. Leech wrote:
> Actually, IANAL is a perfectly-valid response.  IP licensing arrangements are
> complicated and studded with sinkholes and minefields.

Yes; exactly.  Think of it this way: If we don't put "IANAL, TINLA" then one
could possibly, if IMHO unreasonably, interpret what we write as legal advice
and thus we could possibly even be held liable for the advice.  Although
putting in that text does not entirely protect us, it makes the context clear
that -this is not legal advice- and should not be interpreted to be so; it is
just a discussion of legal issues, and may simply be people's opinions that
wouldn't hold water in a court of law.  It's sort of like the "CONFIDENTIALITY
NOTICE" many professional organizations require their employees to use when
sending emails -- it cannot legally be enforced, but without it the
organization could actually be liable for its contents (IIRC, WIRED did a piece
on this issue in the last year, and this was their conclusion).  And, no, I'm
not kidding: in the litigious US society, these non-legally binding annoyances
are actually necessary to CYOA.

> I've avoided the issue (I hope!) in my proprietary "stuff" that uses Gnu
> Radio by doing two things:
>
>     o minimizing the "stuff" that I do inside the flow-graph if I can
> conveniently do it outside
>     o speaking to the flowgraph via named pipes and moving the proprietary
> and user-goop into non Gnu Radio compiled
>        code.

That sounds like the correct way to go in order to keep your code separate from
GNU Radio's, but, of course, TINLA etc. ;)

It would be great if you could share with the list example code snippets of how
you do the pipes.  For example: Where in an online repository one can find such
code.

I think that's what Jeff was getting at: that "we" are providing IANAL advice
rather than code examples.  I, for one, have never actually tried the pipes --
I've just heard that they are possible and that using them does not form a
"greater work" in the GPL sense. - MLD