Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] A few words on development

From: Ben Reynwar
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] A few words on development
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 15:18:55 -0500

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 3:49 AM, Alexandru Csete <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 12:32 AM, Ben Reynwar <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> I have a minor comment for anyone planning on using github.  It has
>> what could be a potentially cool feature called a "Network view" where
>> you can look at what every one is doing on their various branches.
>> However, it only works if everyone creates their repositories by
>> forking from one another.  I would suggest then that anyone who wants
>> to create a new github repo do it by forking Tom's repository.
>
> Hi Ben,
>
> I too have found the network view on github to be very useful.
> However, it seems that Tom's master branch on github is behind the
> master branch on gnuradio.org so maybe we are supposed to clone from
> here.
>
> Alex

Yep.  The full process would be:
- make a github fork of Tom's repository.
- make a local clone of the gnuradio.org master branch.
- delete all the existing branches in the github fork.
- push the master branch to the github fork.

It's silly that the process is so convoluted, but, as far as I know,
there is no process to tell github that two repositories are in the
same network other than if they have a common fork-ancestor.

Ben