Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How can we measure the frequency offsets between

From: John Andrews
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How can we measure the frequency offsets between two USRPs?
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 12:03:19 -0500

Shouldn't I use some kind of modulation scheme to do this, like FM or AM, to transmit a tone?

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Marcus D. Leech <address@hidden> wrote:
On 16/05/2011 10:26 AM, Alexander Chemeris wrote:
You may also look into this code:
http://thre.at/kalibrate/
It estimates offset of an USRP with regards to a GSM base station, but
it can be easily modified to measure offset from any clean tone, e.g.
transmitted by a second USRP.

Keep in mind that the offset measured must necessarily be the total offset--that is, both Rx and Tx can be "off" in frequency.

The practical consequence should be NIL, because frequency correction should normally only be done on the Rx-side, and it should
 simply adapt to whatever it sees, regardless of the Tx and Rx components of the offset.