Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] usrp2_fft.grc hangs when executed

From: Elvis Dowson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] usrp2_fft.grc hangs when executed
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 03:11:37 +0400

Hi Marcus,

On May 16, 2011, at 2:44 AM, Marcus D. Leech wrote:

> Try doing two things:
>
> Turn on averaging
> Turn down the FFT frame display rate from the default 30, to something like 5

Reducing the refresh rate to 5fps makes it a bit more responsive. A value of 10
makes it un-responsive. My sample rate is 3.125M sps using a USRP2, using the
UHD drivers.

> What type of system are you running on?  What CPU, what speed?  Multi-core or
> single-core?

I just resurrected my old ThinkPad T42p, which is a 1.8GHz Pentium-M centrino
processor, 2GB RAM, ATI FireGL T2 128MB graphics, gigabit ethernet and a 160GB
hard drive, running Ubuntu 11.04 32-bit.

Running gnuradio virtualized on my iMac quad-core had issues with audio with
older releases of gnuradio. I'll need to check with the recent release though,
if the audio issue still persists using vmware.

I have to say, this old T42p running Ubuntu or Windows XP, is as responsive as
any of today's multi-core i5 or i7 processors for simple daily tasks (web,
downloads, etc) and bootup and shutdown times. The only areas it doesn't cut is
for computationally intensive tasks. e.g. handling large datasets, generating a
8192 bit ssh rsa key (took more than 10 mins compared to a few seconds on an
i7), program compilation times, etc.

Elvis Dowson