Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Running wx gui widgets over xforwarding ssh conne

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Running wx gui widgets over xforwarding ssh connection fails
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 21:22:09 -0400

I receive the following error when connecting to a ubuntu 10.10 platform from a debian lenny machine:

address@hidden:~/gnuradio_test$ ./top_block.py
linux; GNU C++ version 4.4.5; Boost_104200; UHD_003.000.001-release

Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "localhost:10.0".
Segmentation fault

Several of the systems I work on run on remote servers and it would be really nice to view the pretty wx fft display remotely. Has anybody had success with this?

-Phelps
The WX widgets use OpenGL to render some items, and OpenGL seems to want certain X server extensions to be available to it.

You could try setting and exporting:

export LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1

Before starting your remotely-displayed WxPython program. This is supposed to force OpenGL to use software-only rendering, rather than trying to find rendering extensions in the X server. I haven't found this to be a reliable way to make it work, but sometimes it does. The problem isn't in Gnu Radio, per se, but the OpenGL library that WxPython uses for produce some of the display elements--like
  the graphic sinks.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator