Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why Isn't GNU Radio Used More?

From: Kunal Kandekar
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why Isn't GNU Radio Used More?
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 15:40:35 -0400

I truly believe that GRC takes away 95% of the need for
the user to actually code in either Python or C++.  To me, the real
question is how to get that last 5%.

I'd say as long as GNU Radio is used for R&D, we'll never be able to get rid of that last 5%. With R&D people are often trying to use GNU Radio in ways that have not been previously anticipated. Maybe you weren't talking about that 5%, though.

As for Windows support, Josh has been working on making Windows
installers for GNU Radio.  Nearly all of the main components are in
there.  With this, a Windows user never even needs to compile anything
or worry about dependencies.  See:

http://www.joshknows.com/gnuradio_port#binary_packages

Wow, that looks great! On any *nix, I have no qualms about going into bash and building from source. But I think Windows users (I still consider myself one) are just too used to installers with GUIs. This will definitely make GNU Radio attractive to a larger audience.

Kunal