Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Audio sink busy / segfaults of WX FFT + WX Waterf

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Audio sink busy / segfaults of WX FFT + WX Waterfall
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 05:48:31 -0400

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 4:29 AM, Stefan Gofferje <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

now I finally got grc running and I am trying to get familiar with it again.

I ran into some funny stuff.
First, audio sinks don't work. Device or ressource busy. THAT is kinda weird.
Of course, I have some stuff accessing the audio device but shared access
isn't an issue - normally.

Shared access when using ALSA is definitely an issue. Your other programs are likely using some audio layer on top of ALSA, like portaudio. GNU Radio will try to use ALSA straight away, which can cause sharing issues. This is a long standing problem, and we've never had anybody spend the necessary time to work out a proper solution.

enterprise:~ # fuser -v /dev/snd/pcm*
                    USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p:   sgofferj   4486 F...m knotify4
                    sgofferj   4568 F...m amarok
                    root       8976 F...m sd_espeak
                    sgofferj  12180 F...m sd_espeak

Audio out works neither as sgofferj nor as root. Audio in, however, works
fine.

Second issue:
I started with doing very simple stuff to freshen up my understanding of
sources, sinks, etc.
One of the first things I did was taking an audio source (mic) and straightly
feeding it into an FFT, Waterfall and Scope sink. FFT and Waterfall segfault.
Scope works.

Anybody any thoughts on that?
If some developers are reading here, advise me how to create backtraces and I
will be happy to assist with debugging!

-S

I've never seen/heard of those guys segfaulting before. Can you provide the settings of the blocks you are using? I've used the FFT and Waterfall sinks directly connected to a USRP source (both UHD and the legacy interface) with no problems.

Tom

--
 (o_   Stefan Gofferje            | SCLT, MCP, CCSA
 //\   Reg'd Linux User #247167   | VCP #2263