Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Recent Changes to UHD causing issue for USRP1?

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Recent Changes to UHD causing issue for USRP1?
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 18:18:36 -0700

> Device Address:
>     serial: 4c745353
>
> I am 'feeding' in the serial number on the UHD: USRP source block.
>
> I was trying to use uhd_find_devices as the diagnostic tool.
>
> I should repeat that on the 'good' environment, the probe indentifies
> USRP DBs correctly.

So to recap:

* The UHD cannot read the eeprom on USRP1 on your older machine: No
dboard IDs no mboard serial number.

* But same USRP1 works perfectly fine on another computer.

* However, the libgnuradio-usrp driver can read the eeprom perfectly
fine on both computers.

So, the firmware is actually doing the I2C transactions. The reads from
a host perspective are just libusb control transactions. One thing that
comes to mind, what libusb are you running? libgnuradio-usrp uses
libusb0.1, but UHD is exclusively libusb1.0. Perhaps you have old buggy
libusb1.0 implementation on your older machine? Something along those
lines...

My best guess,
-Josh