Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] User experience with E1x0 boards

From: Almohanad Fayez
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] User experience with E1x0 boards
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 18:00:53 -0400 (EDT)

I haven't worked with the E100 per se but I've worked with the Beagleboard + USRP1 which is the same thing except the E100 uses SPI to communicate with the processor versus USB.  So I've done work on integrating the OMAP3530 DSP with the GPP within GNU Radio.  I feel that the use of the DSP is a MUST to make the most out of the E100 and with my Beagleboard + USRP setup I was able to run some FM flowgraphs but one of my bottlenecks was the USB USRP interface which the E100 would definitely fix.

Basically with the E100 I feel that you need to get your hands "dirty" where you might need to rewrite some GNU Radio components to make use of the NEOS coprocessor, which Philip Balister has done some good work in that respect, and you would also need to make use of the C64x+ DSP which I can point you to the source code I've developed.

The E100 has a lot of untapped potential at the moment and I hope to see more momentum in working with the NEOS and DSP which is what I'm focusing on and willing to help people to get started on.
al fayez