Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Help : Using another Hardware in gnuradio.

From: ton ph
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Help : Using another Hardware in gnuradio.
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 23:21:20 +0530

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Josh Blum <address@hidden> wrote:

>   As the question sounds to be  a bit ambigous , what i was trying to figure
> out was that , I have a hardware drivers written in labview programming ie.
> .vi format, now as per the usrp it uses .rbf files to talk to the usrp
> hardware . But now as i want a new hardware to be used there would not be
> any .rbf

The rbf file is an FPGA configuration file for the altera FPGA in the
USRP1. My understanding is that a VI is a program that runs in the
labview runtime environment. Not related.

   Thanks josh regarding the VI programming , yes it does run on labview , so what i can do with
this part of my problem is that , i can think of generating a .so library which does the work of interacting
/talking to my device and by importing this files in my gnuradio block i could think of integrating with my
gnuradio custom block.
Hope u understand my point , and i highly apologise if my thinking is wrong.

> files but instead the hardware driver written in the .vi form . So what i
> was trying to figure out was that , is that possible to make a block in
> gnuradio where i will replace the usrp block with my abcd block , and if so
> how can i do this .

100% possible

Any arbitrary hardware can work with gnuradio. You need to write a class
in C++ that inherits from a gr_sync_block and talks to your device. Are
you willing and able to do that?

-- another option --

Some people use a named pipe to share streaming data between a gnuradio
file source/sink and another software environment that produces/consumes
the samples.

thanks for your guidance .
-Josh