Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gnuradio and Uhd on windows,

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gnuradio and Uhd on windows,
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 11:03:42 -0400

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 7:40 PM, Josh Blum <address@hidden> wrote:

On 04/15/2011 04:15 PM, Marcus D. Leech wrote:
> On 04/15/2011 07:06 PM, Josh Blum wrote:
>>> that can't find MSVCP100.dll, after I downloaded the MSVCP100.dll it
>>> asked for
>>> MSVCR100.dll, after that it started with some error saying that it
>>> wasn't able
>>> to locate an entry point into MSVCR100.dll. So, unfortunatelly it's
>>> not working.
>>>
>> Install msvc redistributable package.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84
>>

>> -Josh
>>

> So, maybe we've reached the point on the Windows binary stuff where a
> "mega installer" is called for, kind of like

Its funny, the installer is almost like that. Everything thats not
python is actually in there. (aside from msvc redistributable package)
15 of the 20 mb are dlls from the dependencies.

>   build-gnuradio, but for the Winderz binary install?  Install the
> dependencies, UHD, Gnu Radio, and maybe edits your
>   PATHs appropriately?  I dunno if that's even possible on Windows, and
> I don't even know how to do it, and I'm not

Honestly, I'm new to this windows installer thing. I have no idea what
the correct answer is. I come from a linux background thinking that
setting the PATH is the greatest thing ever.

Do i install everything in system32 and not even set the paths? Should
there be a batch script installed to the start menu that sets the path
and then executes grc? Some burdens are easier for me to pass unto the
user...

>   volunteering.  And I know the Josh object(s) has just *sooooo* much
> free time :-)

There is always more time if you know where to look. Like sleep, is it
necessary? Some experts say otherwise.

-Josh

So I've largely just been glancing over this email thread, so I might not have all the facts. But this email between Marcus and Josh has caught my attention.

Josh, is the Windows build that's being discussed here based on your cmake branch? I'm wondering how easily you've found it to keep it up to date with the rest of the changes in GNU Radio master? I imagine it's not terribly difficult for most things, but possibly that my latest changes to gr-qtgui might have been a bit more challenging since the directory structure was changed.

It also seems like you're working out the last bugs in the installation process, now, too, and have been making gains with your installer (going towards the mega-installer). I'm just throwing this out there to see what people think, but I'm thinking we should host this on the main GNU Radio website, too. Also, we can probably clean up the Windows build section of the Wiki based on your work.

Thanks!
Tom