Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] book/video (MIT courseware, whatever) recommendat

From: Scott Johnston
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] book/video (MIT courseware, whatever) recommendations?
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 08:28:27 -0500

I would suggest Telecommunication Breakdown by Johnson, Sethares, and Klein.

It starts simple and builds up a complete modem, although it doesn't have much on the electromagnetic stuff.

Scott

Kunal Kandekar wrote:
It would be useful to know the background of whoever this would be for. EE? Computer Science? Familiarity with trigonometric functions and some basic calculus would be helpful for getting up to speed. I would advise against the MIT courseware link... I found it overly theoretical, and pretty much the exact thing you don't want (crazy math and algorithms). Personally, I found the tutorials at this link from SuggestedReading helpful, although I had studied some of the basics in undergrad courses 10 years ago, so I had some background:
http://www.complextoreal.com/tutorial.htm

They're not the most polished write-ups (some typos, formatting errors), but I found it easy to follow and the diagrams are very helpful, and may meet your criteria of not being too textbook-ish.

Kunal