Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD example using USRP1

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD example using USRP1
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 22:10:26 -0500

On 02/03/2011 09:44 PM, Shiva ∞ wrote:
Hi All,

I'm using 2 USRP1s to send and receive a simple sine wave using UHD. The TX/RX frequencies are 2.45 GHz as I have RFX 2400 as daughterboards.

I use the UHD example tx_waveforms to transmit a sine wave of 10 kHz, sample rate 250ksps. I received the waveform at the other end using the UHD example rx_samples_to_file to dump the output to a binary file. I used a receiving sample rate of 250ksps. I used this file as a file source in a grc flowgraph, hooked up its output to the Oscope sink (after converting the interleaved short I,Q binary file to complex in the chain). I'm seeing a clear sine wave, but its frequency is 5kHz, rather than 10 kHz.

Any idea what is actually happening here?

Thanks,

Shiva

So, let's keep in mind what's going on here.  The Tx side generates a 10KHz signal sampled at
  250Ksps (which is then up-sampled to the rate for the ADC).  The resulting 10KHz signal is
  then mixed up to 2.45GHz(+/- inherent frequency error).  Which produces a final signal frequency
  of 2.45GHz(+/-inherent frequency error)+10KHz.

On Rx, the incoming signal arrives at 2.45GHZ(+/-inherent frequency error)+10KHz, which is then
  down-sampled with a local oscillator set at 2.45GHZ(+/-inherent frequency error).  Which means
  that your signal converts to baseband at 10KHz(+/- inherent frequency error).  The inherent
  frequency error can be a few PPM, which at 2.45GHz means a few KHz frequency error.  So your
  Rx signal may arrive up to a few KHz "off" from where you expect it.  This is rather normal for
  synthesized transmitters/receivers with crystal oscillator references.

The crystal oscillator on the USRP1 is "good", but it's not $100.00/apiece "good".  But this frequency
  error is entirely normal in RF communications gear.

--
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium