Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio Conference

From: Patrik Tast
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio Conference
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 23:02:38 +0200

NOTICE that there is also a NOAA conference at Miami and I bet there will be SDR chatter.
I have reserved tickets....

Quote:
"
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) National Environmental Satellite, Data and Information Service (NESDIS), Office of Satellite Products and Operations (OSPO) and the International and Interagency Affairs Office (IIA) have started organizing the next Satellite Direct Readout (SDRO) Conference, to be held April 4-8, 2011 in Miami, Florida. This will be a follow up to the very successful Direct Readout Conference held in 2008. As with the 2008 conference, the main focus will be on current GOES and POES data access, distribution, and preparing users for the upcoming changes to the NOAA satellite programs. We will present users with information on the following services:

 a.. Automated Picture Transmission (APT)
 b.. High Rate Picture transmission (HRPT)
 c.. GOES VARible data (GVAR)
 d.. Argos Data Collection System (DCS)
 e.. GOES Data Collection System (DCS)
 f.. Low Rate Information Transmission (LRIT)
 g.. Emergency Managers Weather and Information Network (EMWIN)
 h.. GEONETCast Americas
 i.. other NOAA systems
The DRO educates users on our future direct readout and re-broadcast services:

 a.. GOES-Re-Broadcast (GRB)
 b.. High Rate Information Transmission (HRIT)/EMWIN
 c.. Narrow-band GOES DCS
 d.. High Rate Data (HRD)
 e.. etc.
This will assure that organizations using our data or services will not be left unaware of upcoming technology enhancements.

The purpose of this Conference is to continue discussions initiated during the 2008 Satellite Direct Readout Conference for the Americas and to expand the scope to include all users worldwide. This year's Conference theme is: “Real-time Access for Real-time Applications.” The goal is to meet with users who receive data directly from NOAA's environmental satellites and provide a forum to help them prepare for upcoming changes as NOAA transitions into new technologies for direct readout and broadcast services.

This year’s conference is very important considering the restructuring of the National Polar-orbiting Environmental Satellite System (NPOESS) program to create the Joint Polar-orbiting Satellite System (JPSS) as the follow-on civilian polar program. There will be new information on the GOES-R ground system development and their direct readout services. Also, we plan to provide an update on the NTIA proposal for the re-allocation of the 1675-1710 MHz frequency band. As you are aware, this frequency is the health and safety band that supports all environmental monitoring, transmission of global observations and provides critical information to decision makers to produce forecasts and warnings.

The conference format will consist of four general themes organized around; International Cooperation, Polar Systems, Geostationary Systems, and the Applications/Training. Facilitated discussion sessions will also be used to address specific topics. The Conference web site is: http://directreadout.noaa.gov/miami11/. Simultaneous Spanish and English translation will be provided at the conference.

Please mark your calendars for this important date. Your support for this conference would add to a straightforward transition into the new generation of environmental satellite direct readout data. Your cooperation will be greatly appreciated.

" End of quote

Patrik

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alexandru Csete" <address@hidden>