Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP design is free

From: John Gilmore
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP design is free
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 02:18:54 -0800

>                           If you thought you bought a motherboard
> from Ettus under the terms that you were getting schematics and PCB
> files and blah blah blah, fine.  If you didn't get them, point to the
> line item on the receipt or the clause in the contract and take it up
> with Ettus.

I don't understand why people are complaining that the Ettus Research
board designs aren't free.  They are free.  Matt publicly announced
that he intended to release them under the GPL.  Right up to this
day, the schematics (in PDF) are trivially downloadable from
http://www.ettus.com by clicking "Download" on the homepage.  Even the
schematics for their brand-new products like the N210.

Now I will admit that in the past, Matt and Ettus Research provided
not just PDF schematics (that you'd have to re-enter manually into a
schematics editor) but also netlists, ".sch" files, a BOM, etc.  They
never published layout files for directly making your own boards.

I don't know when or why the policy changed, and all that were left
were PDF schematics.  "Printed" PDF schematics certainly don't qualify
as the source code under the GPL (which defines source code as the
preferred format for making modifications).  There was some discussion
on the list at the time of the National Instruments acquisition, in
which Matt basically said, sorry, was reorganizing the web site and
mislaid 'em.  Does anyone know if they ever came back after that
point?

Being less of a trust-the-web kind of guy than some (after being
burned by various things disappearing on me), I saved a copy of the
original USRP1 schematics from its 2005 release: