Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] re: Low cost hardware option, the "total GNUsolut

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] re: Low cost hardware option, the "total GNUsolution"
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 09:48:03 -0500

Hi Marcus,

>Practicality is a very important aspect of any project like this, and
>it's one that needs to be explored.
Yes, very important and I like what you are designing, you bet I will get one if I can get it as already tuned.
Also the the SDR manufacturers are (should be) grateful that an "stronger"
SDR is under consideration and for this price (only).

What I worry about the GNU SDR is (and I bet most are?):
- if it is available as parts listed on a web page, the cost of test equipment (if you don't have them)
to verify I soldered everything ok exceeds an commersial USRP by far.
There are lots of SDR examples on the web that got wasted since too few dare to touch these delicate pieces.
- if I was a student then alles ok, school got the tools needed. If not, they will get em (hopefully)
- if a company would try (to solder) the SDR in EU, the price would be around $4k/month/person

If an already tuned GNU SDR Kit was available, We for sure would  found your idea, that I a fact!

Just to be clear--I personally have no desire/intention of building these things and making them
  available.  I don't have the resources or patience for the fiddly bits of hardware design.

I view my roll as getting the discussion going on the topic,and throwing out a few concrete
  ideas.
--
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium