Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] re: Low cost hardware option

From: Moeller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] re: Low cost hardware option
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 07:59:26 +0100

On 13.01.2011 02:36, Jamie Morken wrote:
> I am interested in helping out with making some new gnuradio hardware that is
> compatible with the USRP daughterboards.  I worked with Matt doing CAD
> on the original gnuradio project hardware and have since then made lots more
> boards including a cyclone 3 board.

So, you're a real expert on Gnuradio hardware ... Great!

> Also we should pick a good open hardware license, here is one possibility I
> came across:
> http://freedomdefined.org/OSHW_draft

Good. It's a bit like the LGPL. It allows also to combine open-source with
closed-source. The GPL-way would be too strict, because practically you
can't ban closed-source components from a complex PCB.

> I do all my work with Eagle CAD, and they sponsored a license for the
> gnuradio hardware project before, so we could look into getting a gnuradio
> specific license again or else consider using a free CAD program.

Even if Eagle has more capabilities, I think it would be cool to use the
GNU-tool "gEDA" to create a Gnuradio-Hardware. So it would be a complete GNU
world, from hard- to software. I didn't use gEDA before. Would it be possible
to replace Eagle completely by gEDA (routing, EMI optimization, Gerber
files, all CAM-relevant data)? Wasn't the first USRP announced as a
demonstration of gEDA capabilities?