[Discuss-gnuradio] re: Low cost hardware option

From: Jamie Morken
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] re: Low cost hardware option
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 17:36:58 -0800

Hi,

I am interested in helping out with making some new gnuradio hardware that is compatible with the USRP daughterboards.  I worked with Matt doing CAD on the original gnuradio project hardware and have since then made lots more boards including a cyclone 3 board.

Here is a possible hardware configuration:
USB 3.0 transceiver IC or USB 3.0 microcontroller
Altera Cyclone3 FPGA
highspeed DAC/ADC

If we use just a single channel ADC and DAC (ie half a USRP v1) then we can get away with a smaller/cheaper FPGA and have a cheaper/simpler board that can be paralleled if needed (ie. two boards hooked up to USB 3.0)

Also we should pick a good open hardware license, here is one possibility I came across:
http://freedomdefined.org/OSHW_draft

I do all my work with Eagle CAD, and they sponsored a license for the gnuradio hardware project before, so we could look into getting a gnuradio specific license again or else consider using a free CAD program.

Here's an eagle cad board I made with a cyclone3 FPGA on it designed to interface to a powersupply:

http://rocketresearch.org/new/FPGA%20control%20module/FPGA%20control%20module%20PCB.png

cheers,
Jamie

[Discuss-gnuradio] Low cost hardware option