Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio and CUDA reprised

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio and CUDA reprised
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 15:39:25 -0500

On Jan 12, 2011, at 2:56 PM, Moeller wrote:
The "very large FIR filters" was a thought, as an example of an operation that
might benefit from a GPU at least when using OpenCL (or CUDA).  I haven't done testing yet to
know if a GPU can do better than a CPU using vector instructions ... but I'm getting there.
If/when I do get there, I'll post my results&  thoughts.

Very large FFT filters is also something worth looking into. GPUs have been considered for real-time coherent de-dispersion of radio astronomy data streams for pulsar detection. De-dispersion over large bandwidths at low frequencies requires ferociously-large FFT filters, but in order to make this a viable proposition, you likely have to do the detection and folding on the GPU as well, producing an output data stream that is several orders of magnitude smaller/slower than the input stream. I read a paper on this, (for the specific case of pulsar detection with real-time coherent de-dispersion), and they concluded that it's doable, on the higher end GPUs, provided that you do detection and folding on the GPU as well, otherwise you lose due to transfer overhead.

It seems like the only time you ever really "win" with a GPU-based solution is when you have to suck in large amounts of data, pound on it furiously, and then produce an output stream that's relatively modest. Otherwise, you seem to lose due to data-transfer
  overhead.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator