Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: "Open-Hardware"

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: "Open-Hardware"
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:56:19 -0500

On 01/12/2011 08:17 AM, Patrick Strasser wrote:

> Now that is not exactly the cheap one, but with its 150MSPS it would be
> quite a frequency range with low additional effort.
>
> What would be the goal for such a device? Which bandwidth are of
> interest, which dynamic ranges? Which frequency ranges? Extra frontends?
> IF from other transceivers or transverters? What would you do with it?
>
> Oh, I forgot one interesting device:
>   http//:www.websdr.org/
> Seems the hardware info is not linked any more, but its a DDS board with
> Ethernet interface. Very application specific, but all soldered by hand.

No, it's not cheap.  But because it has built-in DDC+CIC Decimator, you
may not need
  a largish FPGA to do the DDC+Decimation, so you trade-off a
more-expensive ADC
  against not having an FPGA at all.

In terms of an RF front-end, I'd previously observed that the Rx range
offered by the
  WBX covers a very wide "swath" of interesting frequencies for
experimenters,
  namely 50Mhz to 2.2GHz.  The core of that capability is an ADF4350 PLL
  synthesizer, and an ADL5387 quadrature mixer.

--
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium