Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio and CUDA reprised

From: Sylvain Munaut
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio and CUDA reprised
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:35:47 +0100

On 01/12/2011 08:44 AM, Moeller wrote:
> On 11.01.2011 23:13, Andrew Hofmaier wrote:
>> I've begun to look into accelerating GNURadio applications with Nvidia CUDA
>> GPU's
>> and have scanned through the archives of the discussion list.  I had two
>> questions on the topic:
>>
>> 1.  Is the CUDA-GNURadio port done by Martin DvH circa 2008 still
>> available and runnable?  All links I've seen are broken.
>
> Is CUDA really suitable? There is a certain overhead in data communications.
> CUDA is only useful, if it can compute complex things without communicating.

True.

But with the DMA it's still faster when you compute things like long
filters. Or if you have a wideband signal and you want to split it in
several small band signals, it can compute way faster than SSE.

Another advantage is that it's all done in parallel with the CPU
(including most data movements if done properly), so you can work on the
demodulation in the CPU and let the GPU do all the pre-filtering/signal
shaping for you.

But as you noted further, it's more for when your code is pretty much
working in the "off-line" case and you want to make it work real time on
big data streams.

Cheers,

    Sylvain