Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] About clock rate of USRP E100

From: Philip Balister
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] About clock rate of USRP E100
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 17:33:50 -0500

On 01/11/2011 03:35 PM, Miok Wah wrote:

Hi Philip,

Thanks a lot for your kind help!

From the description here:
http://elinux.org/OMAP_Power_Management#DVFS:_Dynamic_Voltage_and_Frequency_Scaling

I see that it's possible to change the operating frequency of the OMAP using
certain commands.

Do you know if E100 supports such commands?

We haven't done any work with pm stuff on the E100. I suspect that it would be possible to build a kernel with support for the omap pm stuff, but I do not know how well it would work. Our efforts to date are focused on getting things to run as fast as possible.

All that said, I do not want to discourage people from experimenting with the power management features of the omap3 on the E100.

Philip

Thanks again!

Philip Balister wrote:

There are two clock rates to consider: there is the fpga clock rate
which is settable via uhd. I'm not good enough at fpga's to know how
much power can be saved this way.

The OMAP3 clock circuitry allows sections of the OMAP to be turned off,
or clocked at lower rates to save power. This is how they use this chip
in mobile devices. That said, the kernel and user space provided with
the E100 has the clock rate set to the max possible and does not take
advantage of the OMAP power saving features. It should be possible to do
work in this area with the E100 though. There is lots of activity on the
linux-omap kernel mailing list in the power management area.

Philip